Auckland Regional Public Health Service
Ratonga Hauora-ā-Iwi ō Tāmaki Makaurau
With some households in the region facing two or more days without electricity, it will be important to take care with food from the fridge and freezer.
Auckland Regional Public Health Service (ARPHS) Medical Officer of Health, Dr David Sinclair, is advising people without power to follow guidelines around food spoilage to avoid food poisoning.
“After today, highly perishable foods in the fridge like meat and fish may not be safe to eat,” he said.
“And if you are unsure, have a closer look and smell. If the colour has changed, it has a slimy texture or if it smells off, it probably is off.
“If you eat food that has gone off, you can risk infection from salmonella, campylobacter and a range of food poisoning bacteria.
“Food poisoning is a really unpleasant illness, requiring time off work or school,” Dr Sinclair says.
Maintaining hygiene around food preparation and cooking requires more thought than normal.
For further information see the Ministry of Primary Industries.